Pedagogy and Philosophy of Making in the Classroom
Why do we Make and Tinker? Why is making and tinkering important to education? How can it enhance student learning? In this module we explore these questions to define the core tenets, philosophy and pedagogical practices of making in the classroom. In addition, we explore the impacts Making has on learning through hands-on Maker activities.
- Develop an understanding of the educational theory supporting learning through Making.
- Learn about the impacts Making & Tinkering have on student learning
- Experience Making & Tinkering activities hands on.
- Understand one way to design and facilitate a Making activity in the classroom
Prototyping, Wearable Technology, and Basic Circuitry
Prototyping, Wearable Technology, and circuitry are quickly revolutionizing how and what Makers create as well as how we can create solutions to big problems. In this module we explore what these topics are, how they are affecting society, and how we can use them to solve real world problems of our own.
- Develop an understanding of how prototyping, wearable technology, and circuits are empowering humans.
- Create prototypes of wearable technology and a solution to real world problems.
- Explore Design Thinking and its’ application to solving real problems that are hard to solve.
Computational Thinking and Coding
With the increase in computational technology throughout society and its’ impact on how we function, coding has become an essential literacy that helps students understand, access, and construct in their increasing digital world. In this module, we explore programming through the lenses of computational thinking and Scratch Programming.
- Develop an understanding of how and why everyone can code.
- Learn methods to use coding in the classroom including unplugged activities, Scratch programming, and bridging digital and physical interaction with MaKey MaKey.
- Explore the ways in which we thinking computationally every day
- Create computer programs and controller prototypes.
Circuit Systems and Programming
The rise in popularity of circuit prototyping platforms like Arduino has empowered Makers of all ages to create electronics. Emerging Technology that is transforming society such as the Internet of Things(IoT), Robotics, and automation are made up of circuit systems at their core. In this module, we explore the Arduino platform and use it to create circuit systems and prototypes.
- Develop a deeper understanding of circuits, how hardware and software build on each other, and how they can be used to create prototypes.
- Create prototypes using the Arduino platform and electronic components.
- Learn the ways microcontrollers can be used in the classroom and how they relate to transformative technologies like robotics, IoT, and automation.